Blog Archive

Monday, November 24, 2008

Snowflakes on my nose and eyelashes...

Last Thursday I had a "first"-moment. You know, we've all got those significant moments of "firsts"; like a first kiss, or a first burrito, or a first trip to the zoo. Well, on Thursday I had a first: my first walk in the falling snow. Now let me clarify, I have walked in falling snow before--I have been skiing and snowboarding and to Lake Tahoe many times in my life. The reason last Thursday was different and most definitely a "first" for me is this: this is the first time I have walked in the snow in a place where I live. All of the other snow-experiences in my life have been times that I have visited the snow, now I currently reside in a place where it snows. And that is a definite first for me.

Korea is getting cold. Last Thursday was the first snow of the season and it hasn't snowed since then. The weather forecast shows that we can probably expect more snow later this week, but nevertheless, temperatures are definitely dropping. During the day you can expect mild, cold, Thanksgiving-like scarf weather with patches of sun. At night though, temperatures hover around freezing and the cold winds whip around with enough force to burn your lungs and numb your face off. So, I bought a warmth-preserving face mask. People who wear them often look like they just got out of the hospital, but man oh man do they keep your face warm!

This week comes in the form of a wonderful break. Although we still have to "work", our Center is not teaching any classes this week. John and I have completed our first semester and so on this American Thanksgiving week falls our "semester break." We will spend the week cleaning house, running errands, doing office work, and preparing for next semester--classes start again on Dec. 1st. And on Friday evening (one day later than the actual holiday, I know) we will try and reproduce as best as we can a Thanksgiving dinner. We have a small clan of waegook (foreigner) friends who will celebrate with us and I'm looking forward to being creative with my cooking. I know, however, that no matter how much good food we are able to conjure, it can never compare to the Thanksgiving spreads that I'm used to at my mom's house.

It's been a lot easier to feel homesick now that the holidays are at hand. We both miss our families and friends like crazy. But we are finding that we also just miss little things about California and the life that we had there. Korea has become "normal life" for us now--we know enough of the language to get around and we're constantly learning more; we know the transportation systems and where to go for everything; we have friends and people to hang out with; we're settled in our home; and we've got a pretty good handle on teaching (or so we think). So, Korea is normality now. But it's funny, no matter how normal it feels or becomes, when we talk about our home, it's always in reference to California.

But at least we've discovered the wonderfulness of samgyeopsal...

6 comments:

Barclee said...

i am so glad you got to enjoy falling snowflakes, i think its pretty. a lot prettier at least than whatever you guys are eating in that picture!! :)

Anonymous said...

i like your blog!
a) "first burrito, first trip to the zoo" - you are funny
b) did your nose hairs freeze?

Unknown said...

Ha! Isn't it fun to stand and watch the snow fall (and yes I am that big of a dork - I like to think it's romantic) I love you, I miss you, and I'm knitting as fast as I can!

Unknown said...

It is fun to see snow falling and especially to be in it. We recently had some snow fall too this past week and I can totally relate with the freezing whipping wind hitting your face. But it is fun to experience seasons as you said in the place you live. :) I didn't realize that Korea can get cold. How cold has it been? :D

Renee said...

It's been awhile since I have read your guys blog. I hope that your Thanksgiving dinner turned out well. Its different not seeing you guys all the time. I miss you!

Jason Voorhees Leras said...

i'm jelous of this picture...i want to be the guy in there eating that good stuff...thats my favorite at korean bbq