Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sometimes you don't know what to do...

In my last post, I talked about a class of five-year-olds. Well, I have two of those classes. One is a kindergarten aged beginner class. Another is what we call an ATC (American Textbook Class). That means that these children are geniuses. They know all the basic vocabulary words, phrases, concepts and often complete sentences. For example, today I had a brilliant little boy tell me, "I want to poop." He was no older than four, by American calculations. Anyway, you get the point. They are English phenoms. The trouble with this class is, they are as smart as some 10-year olds I have, but as wild as jungle monkeys.

I don't know how to teach them. I am very discouraged. I cannot control their behavior. They get distracted. They roll around in their seats. They hit each other. They say sarcastic or funny things in Korean to make the other children laugh. I don't know what to do... My superiors see that there is a problem. This situation is very complex and I don't even think I could articulate all of the ins and outs of the problem.

I would like it very much if you would pray for me. Please pray that God would give me some sort of illumination, as how best to teach these children. That's all. I am just very down-hearted about all of this, and need some prayer. Thank you all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the John, I suppose it is time to share that I work at an elementary school here state side. I work as much with the teachers as I do with the kiddos, so I can feel your pain (at least from the classroom time I've had). I wish you the best of luck with your jungle monkeys. --Rose

Barclee said...

prayers from ontario...already on there way!

Lindsey said...

I found your blog and I am excited. I will be coming back for sure.
But now I must go to bed.

Unknown said...

Psalm 144...
Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness and my fortress; my high tower and my delivere; my sheild, and and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Lord, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! Man is like to vanity: his days are as a shadow that passeth away. Bow they heavens, O Lord, and come down: touch the mountains, and they shall smoke. Cast fourth lighting, and scatter them: shoot out thine arrows, and destroy them. Send thine hand from above; rid me, and deliever me out of great waters, from the hand of strange children; Whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood. I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an intrument of ten strings will I sing prasies unto thee. it is he that giveth salvation unto kings: who delivereth David his servent from the hurtful words. Rid me, and and deliever me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of foolishness. That our sons may be as plants grown up in their youth; that our daughters may be corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace: Taht our garners may be full, affording all manner of store; that our sheeo may bring fourth thousands and ten thousands in our streets: That our oxen may be strong to labor; that there be no breaking in, noor going out; that there be no complaining in out streets. Happy is taht people, that is in such great case: yea, happpy is that poeple, whose God is the Lord.
Psalm 144...



Baby God gives freely to him who ask and I am praying for you both. If you will come to him First! in you moment of greatest need he will supply the wisdom and strenght you need. I Love You John and I know you can hang , But more important God knows you can hang. IF it was easy everybody would be doing it.We all Love you both and miss you. T.T.F.N. L8tr T8tr. Daddy.

Unknown said...

Ah if only I could get my 3 yr old nephew to say "I want to poop"....he only knows "yeah" and movies..........


Thoughts are being sent your way and i'll think of more stuff...look for an email.